Chairman: David Barton - 01843 846306
111 Dane Road, Birchington. CT7 9QT
Email: lawnranger1949@gmail.com
President: Les Lush
Vice-Chairman: Ken Bolwell - 01843 844575
Treasurer: Mrs. Lesley Harris - 01843 845743
Membership Secretary: Mrs. Pauline Hart - 01843 848690
Committee: Margaret Bolwell, Ann Jordan, Sue Grace.

Further information

Meetings take place at the Centre, Alpha Road, Birchington
Every second Wednesday of the month, except August.

7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. (approx.) March, April, May, June, July, September, October, & November.
2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – January, February & December.

Birchington Horticultural Society – A Reflection

By David Barton, Chairman

2013 marked the 50th anniversary of the Society and having been a member since joining in the early 1970s, casting a glance over my shoulder to the times gone by, seems appropriate. Being the youngest member at the time and classified as “fresh young blood” I was invited to join the committee during that first year. I spent many years as Show Secretary and later took the role of Chairman in 1994, following the retirement of David Baker.

Initially, the Society’s business was conducted from a shed located in Neame Road and it was from here that members were able to purchase their gardening requirements, supplied through John Harris’ business. Meetings and Shows were held in the hall adjoining the Bungalow Hotel, now occupied by Bierce Court. With the closure of the Hotel, the Shows were held in a marquee on Dog Acre, until the Village Centre opened in 1974 and became the permanent home for the Society’s activities.