All Saints, Birchington
Parish Holy Communion - 8am
Sung Eucharist - 10am
first Sunday of the month - 10am
In Church House - 10am
first Sunday of the month - 6pm
Holy Communion Wednesday - 10am
A Brief History
All Saints Church was built c. 1100, as can be seen by two worked-stones in the external south-west wall. At that date the building consisted of a Nave and small Chancel. The original Church was probably built by the monks from Canterbury Cathedral, based at Monkton, who owned and managed all the land on the west side of the Isle of Thanet. We were one of their ‘Daughter’ Churches until 1871.
In c. 1250, the monks decided to enlarge the small Chancel and add a South Chapel, now known as St Margaret’s Chapel, incorporating a squat tower above (probably to save money). At the same time, the Parker family, owners of the Manor House - now called ‘Quex Park’, added a Chantry Chapel on the North side of the new Chancel, (now Quex Chapel). It was built for a priest to say Masses for the departed souls of their family and still belongs to the present owners of Quex. The large unnamed altar tomb on the north side of the Chapel probably holds an early member of the family. Others lie in the crypt below the Chapel.
In 1343 it was decided to add a wide South Aisle, our massive pillar being part of that plan. The arrival of the Black Death (1348) killed about half the population and halted all the work until c. 1350-60. The plans were then changed, adding two small half-aisles instead. About this time, the Tower was heightened and a Spire added. The 14th C. framework is still in place, including many repairs in both iron and timber. The Spire has been re-shingled many times, the latest in 1968, using Canadian Red Cedar shingles. The Tower contains eight bells, the oldest dated 1633.
The Reredos was installed in 1883 during the Victorians’ ‘Restoration’, when they removed the 18th C. box-pews from the Nave and the Gallery, across the west end. The Church Clock was installed in 1887 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
The Bay United Reformed Church
Sundays - 10:30am
1st Sunday in the month
3rd Sunday Family Service
Canterbury Road opposite The Smuggler’s Restaurant
Sundays - 11am
Sundays - 10:30am at 31 Station Road (first Sunday in the month is a Family Service) and 6:30pm at Crescent Road